After missing last week, I was determined to get this published Sunday night. I consider myself successful, because for me, it’s still Sunday night, even though most of the other people in my time zone are arriving at their Monday workday about now.
- Fark: Proposition 8 goes down Comments – Everybody’s probably heard this by now, but the news is so overdue, I don’t feel that late to the party.
- Related Topics: When Adoption Shouldn’t Stand – Apropos of redefining family, this is an interesting case of a fellow who adopted his girlfriend apparently as a way of getting around a freeze on his assets. Even though I’m an advocate of creating our their own families, I’m inclined to agree with the author: it’s an abuse of one of the few ways the law gives us to create our own families.
- Upcoming Web Design And Development Conferences For 2012 – If I were flush with cash from freelancing, I would love to attend some of these. That’s one thing I’m looking forward to as a freelancer: being able to convince my boss to send me to conferences because my boss knows full well I’m there to learn, not pick up chicks (interacting with strangers IRL scares me) or drink beer (I’m a teetotaller).
- Fark: “The burrito’s rightful owner walked up to the men and said he wanted his burrito back” Comments
- Fark: Sex Week vs. True Love Week, otherwise known as the loose free for all’s against the prudes sparks debate on Yale campus Comments
- Slashdot: Details Emerge About Spark Linux-Based Tablet – I am watching this develop with keen interest. I can’t quite get excited about tablet computing because I don’t feel there’s a significant function gap between my laptop (versatile but heavy and fragile) and my phone (very portable, but useless for programming). When this tablet makes it to market, my curiosity might get the best of me even though I know that as a tablet, it represents the worst of all my computing options: won’t fit in my pocket and is useless for programming.
- Phyrangula: Will There Be Blood? – is basically a link to #149 There Will Be Blood: Evolution and Function of Menstruation
- Fark: Amtrak to TSA: How about no Comments
- Slashdot: Hacking the NES With Lisp
- No, Seriously, What About Teh Menz?: What Men Like In Bed
Cosmo…is in the midst of a multiyear project to ask a bunch of men what they think about various traits and thus access the Great Male Hivemind and discover the true secrets of male sexuality.
As far as I can determine from my extensive research in reading Cosmo and watching romantic comedies, in Hegemonic Heterosexuality Land, sex is a war between men and women. Women, of course, don’t want sex except with a loving, committed partner and/or a loving, committed vampire; in those circumstances, women basically crave cunnilingus and cuddles. Men, however, like Kinky Sex.
- Slashdot: KDE Publishes a Book For Beginner Developers – If I find myself in love with a tablet that runs KDE, this is the next logical step.
- Fark: “Institutionalizing juveniles and branding this as criminal behavior rather than dealing with it as normal behavior wrongly places juveniles in places they should not be” Comments
- Tiger Beatdown: I sing Video Games for the fourteen year old girl I once was – The author is talking about some musical act called Lana del Rey. I’m unfamiliar with the music, but after reading this essay, I’m going to have to check it out:
So now, I listen to Lana del Rey, not because I still want to be her, but because I have not yet learned to love the fourteen year old I once was.
- Fark: Do you have $87? Do you want to be chased on a 5 kilometer obstacle course by zombies? Then have we got a deal for you Comments – I was really excited about this when I first read it. Apparently, the course is a bit of a puzzel, so you could wind up running a 10K instead of a 5K. I got tired just reading that, so I decided perhaps I ought to sit it out.
- Fark: If at the age of 15, you knew what you know now, how do you think things would have turned out? – Linked to primarily for the following line:
[After the first time I had sex] there was a victory dance. A real honest-to-goodness dance. I did everything but spike the condom.
- Fark: Mexico wants to be less decapitatey, more touristy Comments – I’m pretty sure everyone wants that.
- Slashdot: Ask Slashdot: Where Are the Open Source Jobs?
- No, Seriously, What About Teh Menz?: Open Thread, Batman Edition – The graphic makes me lol, I haven’t even bothered tried to reading the comments.
- Stepcase Lifehack: Setup Restricted User Accounts to Focus and Get Things Done – I’ve tried this briefly, creating different user accounts for each client. I found it surprisingly useful. I’m not sure why I didn’t stick with it.
- Smashing Magazine: A Beginner’s Guide To jQuery-Based JSON API Clients
- Slashdot: What Does a Software Tester’s Job Constitute? – Linked for this comment
- Sociologial Images: Urinals for Women: An Alternative Reality
- Fark: Meet Jack Kevorkian’s successor, Lawrence Egbert Comments
- Fark: Having spent millions on #Occupy hassles, NYC plans construction of giant urban campground Comments – I would love to stay in an urban campground. It seems like a cheap way to experience the heart of a potentially expensive city. If it had free wifi, I don’t think I’d even miss having a bed.